Saturday 11 February 2017

Less is More Week #315

Good morning, crafters!

Over at Less is More we're continuing with our month long 6th birthday celebrations.  And this week we're back with our regular challenge, the one that you all love (*wink).....yes, you've guessed it, it's One Layer week!  So here's our theme for you...




And as I mentioned last weekend, we have lots of sponsors this month, and this week's it's the turn of Seven Hills Crafts, and the lovely Tara is also joining in this week's fun as our Guest Designer.


Wow, did I find this challenge tricky this week!  I had lots of ideas but trying to transfer those ideas onto a one layer card was proving tough.  In the end I did manage to create two cards for you this week.

For my first card I chose 'Night and Day' as my opposites...


And although our themes are different, I think Sarah G and myself were in the same creative zone this week, our cards are so similar!

I started by drawing a central pencil line down my card so I could work on each side separately.  I covered one side and gently blended some yellow ink before then inking though a stencil to create my sun rays.  I then swapped sides, added a small circle mask cut from a post-it note and blended a night sky (I've had my usual problem with my purple tone turning blue here in the photo!), to which I then added some small white dots with a white pigment pen to create some stars.  I then erased the pencil line and finished by stamping the sentiment centrally.

Materials used:

  • Ink: Distress Ink - Mustard Seed, Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade, Chipped Sapphire, Dusty Concord; Versafine - Onyx Black
  • Stencil: MFT - Sun Ray
  • Stamp: Clearly Besotted - Time to Celebrate Additions
  • Accents: White Signo Uniball pen



At the last minute I had a further idea and managed to combine a few opposites on my second card - wide and narrow stripes, opposite colours, uppercase and lowercase, and large and small fonts...


I wasn't sure if this was going to work well but I'm really pleased with the end result.  I masked off the diagonal top section of the card and stamped the wide and narrow stripes to create the plaid design.  The sentiments were then simply stamped before adding some enamel dots to finish the card.

Materials used:

  • Stamps: Clearly Besotted - Basic Stripes, A Little Sentimental; Uniko - All Occasion Sentiments #2
  • Ink: Versa Color - Orange, Cyan; Versafine - Onyx Black
  • Accents: Doodlebug Sprinkles - Tangerine, Blue Jean

Challenge entry:

Color Throwdown - Challenge #429


And don't forget, by playing along with us this month you'll have a chance of winning some great prizes from our sponsors so why not join us.

Have a lovely weekend!

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards!! I love the thought process behind them :) how totally clever and creative to combine night and day!! The stripes look awesome in the second card.
    Cheers
    preety

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both these cards Anita! The first one is so incredibly atmospheric and beautifully inked. The second one is just WOW... I'd vaguely considered doing horizontal and vertical but couldn't think how to translate that into a card, so I'm blown away by how you've combined so many opposites into a really impactful and eye catching birthday card. Fab! Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rocked it teamie! And even your two card styles are opposite! You have incredible delicate and soft blending on the night and day card and then woah! in-your-face crisp and bright plaid on the bottom. Amazing! Can't choose a fave because they are both really exquisite. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both so creative, Anita! Love the night and day card - your blending and composition is fabulous and your stamping on the second card is crisp and perfect. Love the colour combo too! Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of being available for someone "day and night". I also like all your opposites on the second card, and the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clever design and your ink sponging is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards and opposite ideas. TFS your creative thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever interpretation of the challenge and do so love your blending on your first colour and the colour combination and layout on the second is fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun cards!! LoOVE the contrast on the first and the angle cut on the second!! So glad you joined us at CTD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certainly looks like your mojo is on fire this week teamie. Love both of these stunning beauties. Perfect opposites on the first one and stunning inky blending - jaw-dropping in fact. Then WOAH! How did you do that plaid BG. Soooooo NEAT! Perfect crisp stamping and love the colour combo. Have a fab week! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this angled plaid element! Great CAS design and a wonderful way to highlight the throwdown colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love both these cards and your take on the challenge,
    Sarita x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great and fabulous cards Anita ! And so brilliant ideas ! Of course, night and day ! By dint of seeing the rain and the sun as opposites, one ends by forgetting the very evidence ! And your second card is just awesome, you managed to combine the two challenges in one card : you're a genius ! Thanks for sharing and for inspiring.
    Izzy Scrap

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colouring in this card is just stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both your cards Anita, especially the night and day one - very clever on one layer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting today. I would love for you to leave some feedback, your comments are always appreciated.

In line with Data Protection legislation (GDPR), by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...